June 22, 2011

healthy.

for the past couple of months i have become obsessed with all things healthy. i realized that whatever i buy at the store is what we eat, so why buy things that won't help us reach our goals. don't get me wrong we thourally enjoy a yummy cookie, ice cream and other baked goods. but all things are good in moderation. (thanks Kourtney for the inspiration to start this!)

so i started with the groceries. i made a new budget and came up with some different ideas:
*grocery shop once a week (this way i can keep up with fresh foods like fruit and veggies)
*PREPARE, PREPARE is the biggest key i've learned to eating healthy. best way for me is to pick one day a week where i come up with 4 or 5 meals that i want to make.
*then i make a list of all the ingredients i need (i try basing the meals off of what i already have in the pantry too)
*biggest change for us- no more whites. we only buy multi grain, wheat and increased the amount of fruits and vegetables significantly.
*my most favorite change- Breakfast! i've always had a hard time eating breakfast. not because i don't like it but because i don't make time for it. but i finally found the perfect solution....FRUIT SHAKES! i try and make them the night before (leaving out ice) and throw in the ice in the morning. pour in my nice cup and drink it on the way to work. its great because i know exactly whats in it and its full of fruit!
*but this breakfast shake is only possible because of our recent purchase...the NINJA! it is awesome. we questioned it, read the reviews, wondered if it was too good to be true. and we Love it. its perfect with the 3 different sizes with accompanying lids (nice for storing), and one top that gives the power. we were thrilled, you'd love it too! best blinder/mixer/chopper ever.

the second part: running.
it has been so fun for me to feel myself be able to go farther and farther then i ever have before. it only encourages me to keep going. Alex has always been running and staying in shape. i am proud of him for keeping it up especially when it gets a little redundant and boring.

we both realized though that we don't want to be that couple that after 5, 6, 8 years of being married have gained so much weight. we really think that doing all you can is so important. especially since Alex's career is based around physical fitness and anatomy. he is so good to talk to get more ideas. his classes and experiences really have paid off and helped him to be very knowledgeable.

by far the biggest reason for me to become more fit is that i want to be ready for another baby. when i was released from the hospital over a year and a half ago when i was desperate to find out how i could make sure i never lose another baby...they told me the best thing i can do is eat healthy and exercise. this gave me so much motivation and still does. i try hard to push myself so that my body can handle stress and be stronger. i have been taking prenatal for the past 7 months as well. really i am just trying to put my fears behind me and focus on my future. i want to be in the best shape for when we are pregnant again. i can only hope and pray that this helps.

it feels good to change things and strive to be better. i know that we can see the difference in us already. i am looking forward to the rest of this year and new results. please share what works for you too! i hope to finish with a half marathon- its a huge goal for me but i think it would be worth it.

10 comments:

Adam and Jamie said...

Wow, girl. I am very impressed! It's hard sticking to a meal and exercise plan, but looks like you're figuring it out which is awesome!! Wish I could still run...I'd love to come with you sometime. Oh well. You look great!

Katie said...

That is so awesome how healthy you are being! It inspires me to make a better attempt at things. Now I want you to post the healthy meals you make, because I feel like we're in a meal rut over hear

Adam and Aubrey said...

That's awesome. I could definitely be better in the eating area! And I agree, I want to see the healthy meals you make!

Kristine said...

You guys are doing awesome!

Kalli said...

I learned that I actually have to plan out meals for a whole month. Helps with the budget and takes less time each week. I like this chef: http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-appetite-with-ellie-krieger/index.html And we bought a biggest loser cookbook to just get some good ideas for side dishes and snacks.
Chris and I can't work out together right now because someone has to stay home with Oli. So I joined a running group and that's been really motivating. I'm always training for a race to stay motivated too.
We used to think people were being obsessive when they said that they just work out everyday. But we stand corrected: it's so much easier to just wake up and plan to do it every morning at the same time. Inevitably, something comes up a couple times a week that stops ya anyway. And I think mornings are much easier than at night because there's less going on.
Anyways, that was my long input!! ;) I love talking about being healthy and sharing ideas though! And you guys are absolutely right not to restrict treats all together - that's not good for ya either. I'm really getting into this idea from another friend of mine that swears by it: http://www.intuitiveeating.org/ I haven't read the book yet, but my library will be emailing me when it comes back in.
Anyways, so sorry - I can't keep my thoughts short! Happy running! I really need to catch up with you guys!

Jessie and Brody said...

You guys are great. Everytime I read your blog I'm motivated to get mine and Brody's butt in gear :) Keep it up girl!

anna said...

this is so great! I hope that I can incorperate the same kind of ideas into our lives again once we get all settled. I definitely can't wait to start exercising again and not feeling like such a blob! I'm serious about running a race together too, then we can keep each other motivated while working up to it!

l + j said...

good for you! eating healthy and exercising makes you feel so much better! and congrats on the running- it's the best feeling ever when you complete your longest run!

Aubree Jo said...

Good for you Danielle! I am trying to be healthier right now too! I was wondering if you could tell me how you make your breakfast smoothies?

Carrera said...

We got the ninja too because I eat a protein shake every morning for breakfast!!

We LOVE it as well. That is so funny. My husband is jealous though because I got ours at Target and it didn't come with the three changeable tops lol. He really wanted them off of the infomercial!

You are doing awesome being so healthy! It really changes how good you feel! I have been bad lately and you have inspired me to want to get back into the healthy groove!